Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mugcake. It sounds about as appealing as it is.

Boyfriend J found this yesterday:

"You can cook a cake in a microwave. In 5 minutes. Seriously. Barry stumbled across this recipe for how to make a cake in a mug. In a MUG. How did I not learn of this during all those years as an undergrad?! I suddenly feel inadequate, like I haven't truly mastered life as a poor college student. If you can bake a cake in a microwave, what other culinary arts have I yet to discover? Casserole in a toaster oven, perhaps? I simply had to have my cake and eat it, too, to see if this recipe really works."

Needless to say, J was really excited to try it. (He was undeterred by this: "As far as the cake itself goes... it's not going to win you any prizes in a baking contest.") None of our mugs were deep enough, so I told him to buy a big mug and then he could do it. He pouted, then gave in. Today he bought a mug. And then he made a microwave mugcake.

Boyfriend J (microwave beeps): "The mugcake is ready, the mugcake is ready, the mugcake is ready!!!"

...five seconds later...

Boyfriend J: "Oh. I see what they mean."